Italy 2013: Travel/Fashion Essentials!
As many of my twitter/Instagram followers & friends may have seen me ranting on about how I was about to visit Italy for the first time ever! I’m just going to rant a lot more in a positive way! I explored so much fashion and culture in Italy, I’d be stupid not to let you all know what it was like. This blog post is about travel essentials, but for a fashion conscious man.
1) A great pair of walking shoes!
– I am not a fan of wearing for comfort, which was a BIG mistake as I did not realise how much walking I would have to do! So guys (& girls) please if you’re the type who likes to walk a lot, a good, solid pair of trainers (sneakers), pumps or plimsolls. If you prefer sandals, make sure you wear them beforehand to see if you can cope a day in them. Above is the pair of plimsolls I wore a majority of the time. They were soo comfy and durable. They also fit perfectly and were light and great to walk loads in.
2) Protect those eyes with some Shades!
– being from the UK, I don’t think I would have been able to survive my holiday without my sunglasses. I literally slept with them because I was so used to wearing them a majority of the time. I like a variety of different shapes and colour sunglasses, but I knew Italy was a very sophisticated place and I wanted to make a good impression. As much as I LOVE aviators (which look good on anybody), I wanted a quirkier pair which was also fun & sophisticated. I went with a pair of brown wayfarers. Above is the pair which I wore all the time, ultimately leaving me with a tan line over my eyes! Oops!
3) Straw hats ain’t for those in the Deep South anymore…
– if you’re travelling to a beach resort or a hike up a mountain this summer, a hat of any type is necessary. Although caps are perfectly fine, a more fashion forward statement is the straw hat which is very light and stylish all at the same time! I visited seriously hot places and I would not be able to have survived without it! I wore the hat in Rome, Pompeii, Naples and Capri. Above is how I wore it. Yet there are many ways you can wear it. I personally do not like looking like a tourist, there’s something so not appealing to how a majority dress, everyday you should try to dress good, especially when abroad!
These three essentials are a must-have for any guy/girl who are travelling this summer to any hot destination.
Other essentials include:
-Sun-Tan Lotion: be safe, and you don’t want to burn. This helped me a lot!
-Deodorant: you need to smell good as often as possible!
-Fragrance: You need to smell amazing on the outside also.
-Moisturiser: nobody wants dry skin on a summer holiday.
-Beard Trimmer: unless you want to keep a beard, it’s best to keep it short, keep this with you in your toiletries bag.
-Simple Accessories: a watch, bracelet, ring or necklace. Just to jazz things up.
-Invisible Socks: no, not stockings for men, they are socks which you can’t see when wearing with pumps to give an illusion that you’re not wearing any, when you are!
Where to purchase: –
Good shoes – ‘Next’ for £10 or any high street store you like.
Shades – ‘Urban Outfitters’ – £15. Cheap and long lasting!
Straw Hat – ‘Zara Man’ – £18, stylish and helpful!
Good quality deodorant and moisturiser from ‘Kiehls’
I wore ‘D&G: Light Blue’ fragrance – a classic.
Invisible Socks available at Mr Porter or Urban Outfitters.
Hope you’ve enjoyed a helpful guide for those of you travelling! – let me know where you’re heading for the holidays? Any more interest? Thanks!